Puppy Proof Your Home<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office">
Bringing a new puppy into your life is an exciting time, but be prepared to let loose that adorable wrecking machine into your home. Here are some simple tips to help you puppy proof your home and garden:
- Puppies love to chew and their milk teeth are very sharp. Put out of harm's way anything valuable or easy for your puppy to chew
- Provide pet-safe puppy toys to keep your puppy occupied
- Keep electronic cords hidden behind furniture or under carpet. Biting into an electrical cord can result in burns to the mouth
- Put away all housecleaning products, medications and pesticides
- Store your rubbish in a secured cupboard and make sure the lid is secure.
- Don't use mouse or rat poisons or snail bait and throw out any old packets you may have lying around
- Fence off your compost
- Keep doors shut to rooms that are out of bounds - it's a good idea to keep puppies out of basements, garages and other storage areas where they can run amuck. A baby barrier is a good another way to keep puppies out of certain areas.