|Holidaying? Don't forget your pet!
Whether your pet is going on holidays with you, or staying with a friend or at a boarding kennel, there are a few things you'll need to cross off your checklist.
- Vaccinations - MUST be up to date. It takes 2 weeks for the vaccine to be fully effective so plan ahead and book in early.
- Paralysis tick preventions - if your pet is going on holidays with you, use a suitable tick repellent product (eg. Nexgard or Bravecto) AND check your pet everyday for ticks as no product is 100% effective. The product that you use must be effective against the paralysis tick (Ixodes holocyclus).
- Heartworm - heartworm prevention is even more important in most warmer areas outside of Orange.
- Long car trips - head off on your road trip with a water bowl, treats, a good car restraint such as a car harness (it is a legal requirement to have your dog restrained) and a lead for your pooch. Keep bottled water on hand in case tap water isn't available. Allow extra travel time for toilet and exercise breaks, and remember never leave your dog in the car unattended.
- Ensure that your pet is microchipped and has an ID tag preferably with your contact phone numbers.
- Check that your pet's microchip details are up to date with your vet clinic, council and microchip registry in case your pet escapes while you're away. There is no charge to update your details.
- If your pet is staying at a boarding kennel or with a pet sitter while you're away, remember to book in early, places fill up quickly over the busy Christmas period.